Sunday, September 7, 2014

31 Day Nail Art Challenge: Day #6 - Violet

 


The last day of the single color inspirations! I have made it through 6 days of nail color, even though I am one day behind on blogging it. I interpreted "violet" as being any shade of purple, which I think is pretty fair to the rainbow. Here are all of my purple nail polishes:

















From left to right:
E.L.F. - Lavender Mist
Wet 'n' Wild - On a Trip
L'Oreal - Berry Nice
O.P.I. - Do You Lilac It?
Sinful Colors - Amethyst
Wet 'n' Wild - Futile
Sephora by O.P.I. - Sugar Plum Fairies Gone Wild
Klean Color - Neon Purple
LA Splash - Pretty Jellyfish
Wet 'n' Wild - Disturbia
Orly - Close Your Eyes
In front:
Revlon - Moon Candy Duo

For this day, I decided to try a sponge gradient. I really wanted to use the Wet 'n' Wild in Disturbia because that is one of my absolute favorite polishes. I also wanted to try a gradient with colors not in the same shade. So, I decided to go for a dark purple to silver gradient. My polishes and tools:

















Base Coat: O.P.I. Lay Down That Base
Polishes: Wet 'n' Wild - Disturbia
                Sinful Colors - Amethyst
                O.P.I. - Push and Shove
Tools: Triangular Makeup Sponge
Top Coat: Seche Vite

I started out with the O.P.I. base coat. This came with the Push and Shove so I figured I would try it out. Then, I put down a coat of the Sinful Colors for the background color. To do the actual gradient, I painted a stripe of each color directly onto the makeup sponge (Disturbia, Amethyst, Push and Shove) like so, being intentionally generous iwth the application


















Then I rolled it onto my nail from the side and rolled twice more, moving a little up and down from the initial roll. After letting it dry, I repeat that whole step once more. I got a little too hasty with a couple nails and tried to repeat before it was fully dry, which ended up wiping away patches of the polish, including the base. Some of these I was able to repair as a patch, but I had to completely redo one nail. Moral of the story - don't rush!

Here is the final product of the gradient:


















I thought at the time that it didn't look great and that there were some patches that still looked weird, so I added a bit of glitter (LA Splash - Baby Octopus) to the tips to kind of enhance the silver. It ended up looking nice, but a little too extravagant for what I was going for.
















I think I should have stuck with the original gradient, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment