Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Sample Society January 2015


This review is for the January 2015 Sample Society Box.  I was generously gifted a 3 month subscription to the allure Sample Society Box for my birthday (in October). The box costs $15/month + tax and is curated by allure magazine. The box includes 5 deluxe samples of makeup, skincare, hair care, and fragrance items. You also receive a $10 off of $50 coupon each month to use at BeautyBar.com, which is the umbrella company. This is my final box of the subscription.
Here are the products I received in this box.



Zoya Nail Polish in Rayne
Value: $9
Rating: 5/5
Notes: This nail polish is part of a collection that isn't even available to the general public yet! The only information I can find is here. I love nail polish (obviously) and this looks like a great light metallic blue, perfect for the spring and summer, which will be here eventually! The above swatch has one coat on the index finger and two coats on the middle finger.


Philip B Light-Weight Deep Conditioning Creme Rinse
Value: $1.51 (based on Amazon pricing)
Rating: 4/5
Notes: The ingredients look very promising - no silicone & lots of plant oils. I am looking forward to trying this out when my hair is feeling particularly dry.


Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar
Value: $5.88
Rating; 3/5
Notes: This seems like an excessively pricey product. It has some alpha-hydroxy acids that are good for exfoliating, but they are probably rendered inert by the pH of the moisturizer.


Value: $6 (estimate)
Rating: 3/5
Notes: The mud and charcoal ingredients make this seem like it would work well as an occasional mask rather than a daily cleanser. It also seems like a very pricey, gimmicky product.



Value: $8.99
Rating: 3/5
Notes: The metallic eye shadow is appealing to me because it is a fairly neutral color, but the glittery orange-ish liner is not really my thing. It also doesn't seem to stand up to wear very well. I am not sure I will put this product to good use.


Value: $22.25 (!!)
Rating: ?
Notes: This product was not listed in my little booklet, so I am not sure if it was just a bonus or what. This serum costs $89 for a single fluid ounce! For that price, it better be the fountain of youth! It's not a product I would see myself trying regularly, but I might just have to see what it's all about.

I was relatively pleased with this month's beauty box. The products are high quality and generally useful. I do not plan on continuing my Sample Society subscription primarily because I am trying to cut down on my beauty box subscriptions, but I will definitely consider rejoining if I ever want to expand again.

No comments:

Post a Comment