Wednesday, October 8, 2014

31 Day Nail Art Challenge: Day #29 - Inspired by (the) Supernatural


So, I interpreted this challenge a little loosely, and instead of being inspired by the supernatural, I chose to base my nail art on the TV show Supernatural. I don't think that's officially cheating because the whole point of the show is supernatural creatures and events! I based each of my nails on a title card from different Supernatural seasons.

Here are the supplies:
Base Coat: Seche Clear
Polishes: Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - Black Out
               NYC - French White Tip
               Covergirl - Sangria
               Sinful Colors - Big Daddy
               O.P.I. - I Just Can't Cope-acabana
               Covergirl - Laser Light
               Sinful Colors - Amethyst
               Nicole by O.P.I. - Challenge Red-y
               Maybelline Color Show - Frozen Over
Tools: Saran Wrap
Top Coat: Seche Vite

For all of the nails, I used the "saran wrap" method where you use a small balled up piece of saran wrap to apply polish in a similar fashion as stamping. For each nail, I used a color scheme based on the title card of a Supernatural season. I am also trying out a square nail shape right now. This is the first time I have changed my nail shape and while it doesn't make much difference while my nails are short, I am interested to see how they look grown out a little.

For my thumb, I used Supernatural season #2 for inspiration, which shows the title in a burst of flames. I started with a black base and used the red Covergirl, orange Sinful Colors, and yellow O.P.I. to create a flame effect. The red doesn't show up all that much against the black, but I think the orange and yellow did a fine job of emulating flames on their own.



For my index finger, I referenced the season #3 title card, which show purple-y storm clouds. I again used a black base and mimicked the storm cloud colors with the deep blue Covergirl polish and the purple Sinful Colors. The colors didn't show up all that well indoors, but when the sun hit them, it looked really neat!



My middle finger used the color scheme from the season #4 title card. This one was black flapping wings against a white background, so I just applied some black over a white base.



For my ring finger, I used Supernatural season #5, which shows a drop of blood dispersing. I used a white base and applied the Nicole by O.P.I. in Challenge Red-y. I really like this effect and I think it would make great Halloween nails!



Last, but not least, I used the season #6 title card as inspiration for my pinkie nail. The title card has a pane of glass shattering and it's kind of blue-ish like ice. So, I applied the Color Show polish, which is a cool multichrome glittery color that is mostly light blue, over a black background. The effect was really hard to capture on camera, but I think this one turned out the best in person.



I really liked how all of these came out, and I look forward to using them each as their own mani since I love all of the color combinations, especially with the saran wrap effect. Let me know which one you like the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment