Sunday, February 15, 2015

Birchbox February 2015

 

This review is for the Birchbox from February 2015. Birchbox is a very popular subscription box. It is $10/month for 4-5 beauty and lifestyle samples, which are personalized based on a quiz you take. It also has a great rewards points system. It is the only monthly subscription box that I still have, because I have found it to be especially worth it for the samples and the additional full-sized products I can get with my reward points.
The box was prettier than the older plain cardboard boxes, which is a nice change; however, another change was that they didn't include the list of products and descriptions on the card placed in the box, which was not as nice.


So, I will choose my own order in which to review the products.


Value: $5.00 (Birchbox pricing)
Rating: 5/5
Notes: This was my chosen sample this month, because I have been looking for a good eye make-up remover. I tried it out on the eyeliner swatch (see below), and it seems to work pretty well without having to scrub too hard.


Value: $1.66 (Birchbox 500 ml pricing)
Rating: 2/5
Notes: I have enjoyed my amika dry shampoo that I got as a sample in my very first Birchbox and actually ended up buying a full-sized version. However, I don't have much desire to try this hair mask because I don't like putting silicones in my hair. I left it sealed so I could pass it on to someone else, but it smelled good through the packaging!



Value: $16.00
Rating: 4/5
Notes: Normally, I don't go for eye liner, but I am kind of impressed with one. It has a very nice felt tip, so it's really easy to draw precisely. I made two swatches, and after waiting about 20 seconds, rubbed the swatch on the left with my finger, and it didn't budge! The Marcelle eye make-up remover was pretty effective at taking it off with only a quick swipe with a tissue. I think I will try using this for tight-lining and for more adventurous make-up days.



Value: $3.60
Rating: 3/5
Notes: This sample looks like a pretty good size, but it's really only about 1/3 filled, which is unfortunate. I also wasted a ton of it on this swatch because it all burst out in a glob when I tried to squeeze a little out. I like that it uses physical sunscreen and tries to make up for the usual white-cast by having a tint, though it might be a little dark for my pasty skin. I look forward to giving it a try though.


Value: $1.65
Rating: 3/5
Notes: I feel like by now, I have tried all of Harvey Prince fragrances, but I can tell by looking at their website that isn't remotely true. This one is flowery smelling, and I think it's my favorite so far. A little bit goes a really long way, so it will be used sparingly.


Here's everything together. The value of this box was $27.88, which is a bit low for Birchbox. I am excited about the eye make-up remover and eye liner, which are the most valuable items in the box, so those alone make the cost worth it. I have racked up a good amount of points and have a 20% off coupon, so maybe I will search for something full-sized to pick up!

No comments:

Post a Comment