Thursday, October 2, 2014

Walmart Beauty Box Fall 2014


For those of you who don't know, Walmart has recently come out with a beauty box of their own. It's $5 for each box, and they are reportedly going to come out every "season", so four times a year. They don't give out really any information about the quantity or specific products except that they will be beauty products, but for $5 I was willing to give it a chance.

I was excited to open the box and see what was in store! Here is the box directly upon opening:


It's definitely a good number of products for $5 and I can already tell that the products are worth more than the cost of the box. The first one I looked at was the sample of Nicki Manaj's Pink Friday Perfume. Somehow, you can get both the smaller and larger sizes for the same price (~$25) on Amazon.


When I opened up the little card, there was supposed to be a little sampler size of the perfume, but there was nothing in mine. It was nowhere to be found in the box! I think I am ok with that because I don't really wear any perfume and based on the scent of the card, it wouldn't be my style anyway.


The next thing I investigated was the full-sized Secret Clinical Strength Deodorant in "Completely Clean", which I found on Amazon for $10! The scent on this is very pleasant and it works really well! I wore it all day yesterday and it proved to be very effective against odor. This basically makes the box completely worth it and the rest is just bonus!



Next up was the Covergirl Nail Polish in Laser Light, which I found at Ulta for $3.79. This seems to be a deep blue and is reported to glow under black light! I can't wait to try it out next time I am going somewhere with black lights (probably late night bowling, knowing me).


I also received samples of Dove Oxygen Moisture Shampoo ($4.79 full sized) and Conditioner ($4.98 full sized). If you do the math, these samples are each worth about $0.40. I am pretty picky about my shampoo and conditioner, but these are good sizes to try out for a week or so or even take traveling if you aren't too picky.



I got another hair care product as well, the Dove Pure Care Dry Oil Treatment, which goes for $11.98 for the full size. This sample itself is worth about $1.40, which makes this a pretty expensive treatment. I will probably give it a try on the ends of my hair since they tend to get a little dry.


The products just keep coming! Next, I have a L'Oreal Glossy Balm in Lovely Mocha, which retails for $6.97 at Walmart. Another box-worth item! This seems to be a nice neutral color with a little bit of pink. The swatch on my arm didn't last very long, but with the nice crayon set-up, it shouldn't be too much trouble to reapply as needed.



The next item is a small foil packet of L'Oreal Youth Code Pore Vanisher, which sells for $17.97 ($14.26/oz) making it a pricey item. It seems to be marketed as a skincare product that will shrink your pores overtime; however, pores cannot physically shrink no matter what you do to them, you can just try to reduce the appearance. Based on the ingredients and some of the reviews I have read, this would probably work well as a primer under makeup.


The final item is a card with some tiny Neutrogena Nourishing Longwear Foundation samples. I found the full size foundation at Ulta for $12.99 on sale (usually $14.99). It's nice that they sent a variety of shades, though they are clearly marketed only toward people on the lighter-skinned end of the spectrum. Many of the shades look a little pink-toned, while I am more yellow-toned, so I think I will try the "Classic Ivory" out. It seems to have fairly decent reviews, and I am always looking for my "holy grail" foundation. The card also includes a $2 off coupon if you end up liking it.


Overall, I thought this box was well worth the $5. I got a few products that I will use regularly and a few that I will try out. I would definitely recommend it for people who are always on the lookout for new products but don't want to break the bank. There was another version of this box with more skincare items and people with the same box did get different shades of lip color and nail polish, but I am not sure how they make the decision of what box you will get. All in all, a successful venture and I look forward to what they will send out for the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment