Sunday, October 19, 2014

Ipsy October 2014

 

This review is for the Ipsy subscription for the month of October. Ipsy is a monthly subscription box that focuses on makeup with some skincare, hair care, and nail polish products. It's $10/month (+ $.75 for tax (?)) for a small makeup bag plus 5 samples that are influenced by a quiz you take. You can earn Ipsy points for reviewing products, posting things to your facebook, and inviting friends. These points can be redeemed for additional full-sized products.

I have been thinking about cancelling my subscription to Ipsy for a couple of months now, but this bag might just have swayed me to keep going with it. I got some really fantastic products, and based on what I have seen around the internet, other people got some great things as well. Anyway, I will go through my thoughts on the items I received this month.

The first item is a sample of Patagonia Ayres Body Butter, which sells for $28 for a full-sized 6.75 oz container. That makes this 1 oz samples size worth $4.15. The body butter is scented with jasmine and rosemary among other essential oils. It smells really nice and seems like it would be soothing to put on after a shower and before bed. I am excited to try it out!



Next up, I got a sample of Purifying Exfoliant by epice. I have never heard of this brand, but it appears to be created by a dermatologist. The exfoliant costs $32 for 3.3 oz, so this 1 oz sample is worth $9.70. That's quite a pricey product! Based on the ingredients, this is a physical exfoliant, which I am not usually a fan of. I will put it in my skin care sample reserve and perhaps try it out once I get to a point of trying new products.



My third product is a full-sized mineral eye shadow from Mica Beauty Cosmetics in the shade Reluctance, which is kind of a mossy green with subtle gold glitter. I really like the color and look forward to using it. This is definitely a good deal, being worth $14.95, which is 1.5x the cost of the bag.



Next, I received another full-sized product, City Color Be Matte Lipstick in the color Cappuccino, which is worth $5. The color seems like a pretty good neutral color for me. I tried it out, and while it is a bit drying, the finish is very nice and it has some staying power. I am excited to take this with me on my conference trip to wear during the day.



The fifth product was outside of the bag, since it probably didn't fit inside. It's a small size of Acacia Protein BB Cream for hair made by Ecru New York. The 1 oz size of this product is available on their website for $12. I am usually not a big fan of hair products, and the prevalence of silicone on the ingredient list doesn't really encourage me. I will have to read some reviews and see what people say.



I also received my items that I traded in my Ipsy points for: a full-sized Cheek and Lip Stain and a small sized Illuminating Bronzer from Bellapierre Cosmetics. The stain is in the color Pink and the product is worth $19.99. The color is very bright and based on the texture, which is quite creamy, I think it will be better suited as a cheek stain. The bronzer is in the shade Peony and based on the full-sized price, it's worth $10.44. It's very light and shimmery for a bronzer, but I think it would work as kind of a highlighter. I think these products were a great use of my Ipsy points!



I swatched (in order) the eyeshadow, lipstick, lip & cheek stain, and bronzer on my arm. Here they are in natural light and with flash to show the shimmer.



All of the products are very pigmented, and the lipstick and stain help up to washing with soap and water. I'm definitely excited to try them out in a complete look.

So, in total, the products in this bag were worth $45.80! This is a really great deal and one of the better Ipsy bags I have received. Plus, my rewards were definitely worth the trouble of earning the Ipsy points. I think they have successfully won me over to remain subscribed! Let me know if you have any questions about the Ipsy subscription, or if you would like to join, I would love to share my referral code!

No comments:

Post a Comment