Wednesday, October 8, 2014

31 Day Nail Art Challenge: Day #30 - Inspired by a Tutorial


For this challenge, I followed a tutorial that I found through reddit for doing plaid nails. I have tried doing a plaid design before and it just utterly failed, so I was really excited to see such an easy tutorial with nice results! The one I first saw was done with shades of gray, and I really liked the monochromatic look, so I decided to do shades of brown.

Here are the colors/tools I used:
Base Coat: Seche Vite
Polishes: Sephora - Sugar Coated
               Julep - Alaina
               China Glaze - Below Deck
Tools: Striping Brush
           Medium Dotting Tool
Top Coat: Seche Vite

I started with 3 coats of the cream Sephora color to get it opaque-ish. Then, I made wide stripes vertically and horizontally with the taupe colored Julep polish using the striping brush. Following the tutorial, I colored in the square where the stripes intercept with the darker brown China Glaze color using a dotting tool. I think this was the key step in really capturing the plaid pattern. Next, I used a striping brush to draw thin stripes in the first color down the center of the taupe stripes. The tutorial recommended drawing stripes in the negative space with the darkest color, which I did on my thumb but decided it looked a little too busy on my small nails, so I did not continue with the rest. I think that if I make the stripes a little thinner next time I could use the negative space lines, but the look is still complete without them.

This was a great tutorial and I am glad that I found it! I will definitely be trying this out with other colors in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment