Wednesday, September 3, 2014

31 Day Nail Art Challenge: Day #2 - Orange















Here is day #2 of the Nail Art Challenge. Most of my posts will probably be one day behind so I can get some good pictures in natural lighting. Again, I got together all of my orange nail polishes to survey my options:
















I have:
E.L.F. - Mango Madness
GAP - Love Story
O.P.I. - Toucan Do It If You Try
Sinful Colors - Big Daddy
L'Oreal - Mango Mamma
Orly - Old School Orange
Revlon - Tangerine
Klean Color - Mango

I chose to use the Orly polish since I just got it recently and wanted to try it out. Without a top coat, the polish has a nice satin finish that is part of their Plastix collection. Next time, I might use it without a top coat to take advantage of the unique finish. Here are the polishes and tools I used to complete this mani:
















Base coat: Seche Clear
Polishes: Orly - Old School Orange
              Sinful Colors - Jolt
              Wet 'n' Wild - French White Creme
Tools: regular Scotch tape
            craft scissors in a wavy pattern
Top coat: Seche Vite

I used the craft scissors to cut wavy strips of the Scotch tape as thick as I wanted two wavy stripes to be. In order for the tape not to peel away the polish, I had to put a coat of Seche Vite down before placing the tape. I painted my base coat of the Orly orange color, layered with top coat, and placed the tape once it was dry with a small gap between pieces. There, I painted the Sinful Colors blue color and quickly peeled away the tape. After another application of top coat, I placed two more pieces of tape shifted down slightly and painted the Wet 'n' Wild white color. Maybe I can post some tutorial pictures later to make this more clear.

I topped it all off with a final coat of Seche Vite, and did some minor clean-up. And this is the final result!

















I think the colors go really well together. For my first attempt making my own fancy striping tape, I think it went really well and precision will come with time. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment