Saturday, September 6, 2014

31 Day Nail Art Challenge: Day #5 - Blue
















For Day #5 - Blue, I got pretty lazy and just did a blue ombre across my nails. Because it's so simple, I figured I could also give a short review about each polish, especially because they are each a different brand!


Once again, I started by setting out all of my blue nail polishes. For some reason, no matter how many blues I have, I always feel like I am missing a particular shade! So, I keep buying blues.


















Left to right, top to bottom:
Ciate - Sweet Pea
O.P.I. - Gargantuan Green Grape
China Glaze - Don't Be Foiled
GAP - Infatuation
Sinful Colors - Jolt
LA Splash - Ocean Sprinkles
Orly - Snowcone
Wet 'n' Wild - Bijou Blue
Sally Hanson - Wave Break Crackle
Sally Hanson - Ice Tint
Maybelline Color Show - Blue Bombshell
China Glaze - Frostbite
L'Oreal - Miss Pixie
Whet - Facetious
Sinful Colors - Cold Leather
Klean Color - Neon Sapphire
Nina - Twinkle, Twinkle
Sally Hanson Magnetic - Cosmic Blue

Wow! So many blues! I tried to pick 5 colors that spanned the range of the blues and transitioned as smoothly as possible. Here is what I ended up using:


















Base Coat: Orly Bonder
Polishes: O.P.I. - Gargantuan Green Grape
                GAP - Infatuation
                Orly - Snowcone
                Maybelline Color Show - Blue Bombshell
                Sinful Colors - Cold Leather
Top Coat: Seche Vite
                 NYC Matte Me Crazy

I started with the lightest color, the O.P.I., on my thumb. You may notice that the name of this polish has the word "green" in the title, yet it is clearly a very light blue color. Gargantuan Green Grape is known for being an unusually large range of colors in different bottles. Here are just a few examples of different bottles of this same polish:



Source: The PolishAholic



Source: Nail Galore



Source: Paint Those Piggies!


As you can see, mine most matches the last image. Anyway, working with the O.P.I. was harder than I expected. The first coat went on very thin and streaky. I needed two more thin coats to get the polish to be opaque. It seemed a big excessive! However, in the end, it looks very clean and I love the color.

For my index finger, I used the GAP color. It looks quite green in the bottle, but leans more blue once it is on your nail. When I first grabbed nail polish at the GAP, I didn't think they would be that high of quality, but I have been very impressed! The first coat went on very smoothly and was pretty even across the nail. I probably could have gotten away with one coat, but I did another to really bring out the color more. Bottom line: I would recommend GAP nail polish!

The middle finger got the Orly. I love Orly! I never have anything bad to say about it. I applied one coat and it was perfect - opaque and even. No complaints here.

For my ring finger, I used the Color Show polish. I have found these polishes to be pretty hit or miss in terms of quality. The gold one I used for my Day #4 challenge is beautiful and only one coat needed. This one was a little bit lower quality. I needed two coats to be opaque and eliminate streaking. In the end, it's a very nice color and one that I could use for some school spirit themed nails!

Finally, I used the Sinful Colors polish on my pinkie finger. This one is unique because of it's texture, which as you might guess from the name, is leather. It dries matte and does indeed have the finish of real leather. I only needed one coat for this polish, but I did too because I like watching it start out glossy and dry matte! Sinful Colors rarely fails to impress me, and at $2 a bottle, it's hard to beat for those on a budget!

Over the top of each nail, I did a quick layer of Seche Vite to set the polish and then finished off with the NYC matte topcoat. I don't really have a reason, I just felt like it. Here are the final pictures:





No comments:

Post a Comment