Friday, September 19, 2014

31 Day Nail Art Challenge: Day #16 - Geometric



Sorry for the delay in the posts, PhD life has caught up with me once again! I did complete the "Geometric" nail theme on Tuesday evening. Apparently this theme used to be "Tribal", but was changed to "Geometric" in order to be more culturally sensitive. I like this because it gave me an opportunity to try something I have wanted to do for awhile - a stained glass type effect.



Polishes and Tools:
Base Coat: Orly Bonder
Polishes: Sally Hanson Xtreme Wear - Black Out
               China Glaze - Goldie But Goodie
               China Glaze - Deviantly Daring
               Zoya - Happi
               Butter London - Jack the Lad
Tools: Striping Tape
           Large Dotting Tool
Top Coat: Seche Vite

On my right hand, I put two coats of each polish on each nail to just show them off individually. On my pinkie is the Sally Hanson Xtreme Wear. I picked this up because I needed a new black polish quick and didn't really take the time to do research. It turned out pretty well - opaque in two coats and easy to work with. The ring finger is Butter London - Jack the Lad. I picked this up on one of my TJ Maxx runs and it is really an amazing color! It's packed with microglitter and is a gorgeous greenish color. On my middle finger is Zoya - Happi, which I used for the Polka Dot theme of the challenge. The index finger is the gold China Glaze. This is one of my all-time favorite colors because it's a bronzy gold color that is super glittery and just looks very polished. Finally, on my thumb is the China Glaze in Deviantly Daring, which looks much more green in the bottle, but comes out as a pretty metallic blue color. All of these are amazing colors on their own and complement each other well.

For the stained glass effect, I started out with two coats of the black polish. I topped it with Seche Vite to seal in the base and prevent it from peeling up with the tape. Then, I placed three pieces of striping tape on each nail in different orientations to create four geometric areas. I used the big dotting tool to fill in each of the four areas with one of the polishes, working quickly to prevent drying before peeling up the tape. I sealed it off with a generous coat of Seche Vite.



This is one of my favorite manis of this challenge so far, so I took tons of pictures! I really love the crispness of the lines, the combination of the colors, and the bunches of microglitter! I was unable to complete a mani for Day #17, so hopefully the glitter in this mani as well as in my new Day #18 mani make up for missing the "Glitter" theme. I definitely didn't mind wearing this one for an extra day either!

No comments:

Post a Comment