Monday, September 29, 2014

31 Day Nail Art Challenge: Day #24 - Inspired by a Book



Unfortunately, I have gotten pretty behind on this nail challenge. I completed these "Inspired by a Book" nails on Wednesday the 24th, but since then I have been quite busy! More on that in another post.

The book, or rather series of books, that I was inspired by is called "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman, otherwise known as the "Golden Compass" series. This is a young adult series about parallel universes, an elementary particle called "Dust", and a girl who must save all of the universes from the loss of this Dust with the help of some wonderful and diverse companions. It is actually quite a controversial series, as it portrays religion (specifically Christianity) in a very negative light. The series is a wonderful example of a fantasy story with elements of science fiction, while also touching on serious scientific and theological topics. I really enjoy Pullman's development and growth of the characters, and admire his ability to write such a heart-wrenching story ending. I highly recommend the series for young adults and old adults alike.


Enough about the books themselves, let's get to the nails! Here are my supplies:
Base Coat: Seche Clear
Polishes: Maybelline Color Show - Blue Bombshell
               Maybelline Color Show  Bold Gold
               NYC - French White Tip
               Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - Black Out
               Sinful Colors - Slate
               Sinful Colors - Nirvana
               Sally Hansen Magnetic - Kinetic Copper
               Sephora by O.P.I. - The Golden Age
Tools: Various Dotting Tools
Top Coat: Seche Vite

Each of my first three fingers represents a book in the series: "The Golden Compass", "The Subtle Knife", and "The Amber Spyglass". My pinkie finger represents the Dust. For details on how I did the designs, feel free to post questions in the comments! Here are a couple more pictures.



2 comments:

  1. Nice nail art Katy. I am arti' friend and I saw all your nail art pics.. they are very pretty. Would love to get one done sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Shraddha! I'm sure we can all get together and have a nail party sometime! =]

    ReplyDelete