Monday, April 20, 2015

Galaxy Nails


I was watching Interstellar on Friday (which I highly recommend) and it seemed appropriate to put some galaxies on my nails. Galaxy nails are a simple and forgiving design that turn out looking great no matter what. I have also included a picture tutorial to show how I made these nails.


Here are the supplies I used for this design:
Base Coat: Orly Bonder
Polishes: Covergirl Glosstinis - Laser Light
               Wet 'n' Wild - On a Trip
               Orly - Snowcone
               Zoya - Dot
               LA Splash - Baby Octopus
Tools: Triangular Makeup Sponge
Top Coat: Zoya Armor

Unfortunately, I didn't get to take very many pictures because my nails got chipped pretty badly from tying water balloons on Saturday for some outdoor fun. I did get the one nice picture and I made a little tutorial to show how you can replicate this technique.


1. Start with two coats of the base polish - either a black or deep blue. I used the very deep dark blue Covergirl - Laser Light. Allow to dry completely.
2. Take a small piece of a makeup sponge and apply some purple polish in small regions of the nail.
3. Take another piece of a makeup sponge and apply some blue polish on top of the purple polish, letting some of the purple show through. 
4. With another piece of makeup sponge, apply a light pink color to soften the effect of the blue.
5. Go back in with some of the base color and purple color to add definition to the design.
6. Using a small piece of a makeup sponge, apply just a few pieces of silver glitter to represent the stars. You can also do this with a small dotting tool and white or silver polish.
7. When completely dry, apply a top coat to make everything nice and shiny.

Like I said, nice and simple! This is a case in which the final product is more than the sum of the individual parts. You can also easily substitute other colors to tweak the final results, like greens and yellows.You can even do the whole thing in pastel shades or metallic shades to mix it up. Chances are that there is a galaxy out there in the universe that looks just like your nails!

No comments:

Post a Comment