Sunday, November 2, 2014

Pop Art Nails and Costume



It has been a very long time since I have put any effort in on Halloween, but this year, I decided to dress up to help me de-stress from a crazy busy week. I decided to go for a pop-art look inspired by Roy Lichtenstein artwork. As someone without much in-depth art knowledge, I can at least say that his artwork emulates comic book styles and is recognizable by the sharp lines and the use of Ben-Day dots. I did not pick an exact piece of artwork, but rather did an inspired look and leaned heavily on a particular rendition. Of course, being a nail art person, I had to have my nails match the look, so I did a comic book design.

Here are the supplies for the nail art:
Base Coat: Seche Clear
Polishes: Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear - Black Out
               Pixi - No. 18 Red Shimmer
               NYC - French White Tip
Tools: Medium Dotting Tool
Top Coat: Seche Vite

After the base coat, I did a single coat of the black Sally Hansen polish. Once it was dry, I carefully painted a layer of the metallic red Pixi color, leaving a black border around the edge of the nail. I repeated with a second coat to make the red stand out more. Then, I used a medium dotting tool with the white polish to draw on a "shine". I sealed it up with Seche Vite top coat.

It was really hard to get a good picture that really showed how cartoon-like the nails came out. The picture above was the best one I could capture, though the lighting was dim and the background is a bit distracting. Here are a couple more tries:




For the main costume, I wore all polka-dotted clothing, which actually wasn't too had because I happen to own a lot of polka-dot items, including shoes! Technically, this wasn't necessary because clothing doesn't really have the Ben-Day dots in the artwork, but I did it anyway for the sake of completion. Since I was only wearing this to a department-sponsored party at the end of the day, I threw on my makeup with the help of a labmate in the 30 minutes before the party. Here are the supplies that I used to create the look:

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil - Milk
Jesse's Girl Black Eyeliner Pencil
Urban Decay Perversion Mascara
Black Eyeshadow from NYX 10 Color Palette - Bohemian Rhapsody
Dark Red Lip Liner (will update with brand when I find it...)
Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick - Infrared Matte
Eyeshadow from E.L.F. Dreamy Eyes Collection Pallette
E.L.F. Studio "C" Brush
MUFE HD Microfinish Powder
Coastal Scents Kabuki Brush
NYX Matte Finish Makeup Setting Spray


I used the white NYX eye pencil to make the array of dots on my face, neck, chest, and arms. My labmate did most of the work on my face/neck. Then, I used the eyeliner to line my eyes, nose, jawline, collarbone, and "cleavage", as well as outline the tear drops and exclamation. I applied mascara pretty heavily because I was unable to figure out my fake eyelashes. I also used the black NYX eyeshadow to fill in my eyebrows. I made my lips nice and red with the dark red lip liner and the Smashbox Lipstick. Then, I used the black eyeliner to outline the lips and the white eye pencil to add a little highlight to the bottom lip. To make the colors for the tears and the exclamation stand out, I first filled in with the white eye pencil and then patted on the blue, orange, and green eyeshadows very generously using the E.L.F. studio "C" brush. To make sure everything would last, I gave it a quick dusting with the MUFE finishing powder using the kabuki brush, and then sprayed with the NYX finishing spray. Here is another shot of the makeup (you can see my nails in the bottom corner):


I was pretty happy with how everything came out for a really quick costume, and I even won a prize at the party! It also had great staying power. I had to use quite a bit of my cleansing oil to get everything off. I think if I were to do this costume again, I would spend more time making the Ben-Day dots really small and precisely spaced. I would also add some more lines to my face around the hairline, forehead, and chin especially.

I had a really fun time dressing up! Thanks for checking out my post!

No comments:

Post a Comment