Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Allure Sample Society November 2014


I have a new beauty box to review! I was generously gifted a 3 month subscription to the allure Sample Society Box for my birthday. The box costs $15/month + tax and is curated by allure magazine. The box includes 5 deluxe samples of makeup, skincare, hair care, and fragrance items. You also receive a $10 off of $50 coupon each month to use at BeautyBar.com, which is the umbrella company. I am excited to try out this new subscription!
The box comes with a little mini magazine that tells all about each sample: "What it is", "What it does", "Key ingredients", "How it looks/feels/smells", "Why we like it", and "Price". I like having all of these details about each product rather than the one-line description that we usually get.


Here is the box directly upon opening. Looks pretty promising!


First up is the Malin + Goetz Bergamot Body Wash. This costs $18 for 8 ounces and $32 for 16 ounces, so going with the cheaper option, this 1 ounce sample is worth $2. I am not a regular body wash user, but I have been open to finding one that I like enough to use regularly. I already got to try this wash out in my shower this evening! It smelled really lovely - like spices with a hint of orange. The smell lingered for the duration of my shower but did not really stick to my skin. Still, it was fairly gentle and make me feel clean without irritating my skin. The wash foamed up pretty well, so I think this will last a good 10 uses or so.


Next, we have the Calvin Klein Reveal perfume, which costs $70 for 50 mL, which is the most common size I saw when searching. This makes the little 1.2 mL sample worth $1.68. When I first started with beauty boxes, I didn't like the perfume samples because I don't wear perfume except for fancy occasions, but then I realized that's exactly why I need these tiny samples! I do like the smell of this perfume because it's a muted, yet complex smell. It smells pretty flowery to me, but there are also musky and woody scents as well. I look forward to wearing this to a special occasion in the future!



The third item is the Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Omega+ Nourishing Oil, which is a hair oil that is listed at $38 for the 1.7 ounce full-size, but I found it on Amazon for $25.95. With the Amazon pricing, that puts this .2 ounce sample at $3.05. The "Key Ingredients" section boasts things like omega-3 and C22 fatty acids, caviar extract, and vitamin C, but really it appears to be mostly silicone. Since I don't like putting tons of silicone in my hair, I will probably give away this sample. It's a nice little bottle with a dropper and it smells pleasant though.



The next item is a Lorac Cobra Mascara, which is $20 for a full-sized product, making the deluxe sample worth $11.20! I love getting mascara samples because I wear it every day and I am not too picky. The deluxe sizes are perfect for using up before expiration. The wand for this looks a little weird, but the mascara has pretty good review from what I can find and people say it is long-lasting, volumizing, and holds a curl. Sounds good to me!



Lastly, we have the MD Solar Sciences MD Creme Mineral Beauty Balm. What a mouthful! This product seems to go for $39 at all reputable vendors, which makes this deluxe sample worth $5.39. It comes in Light/Medium, which is what I received, and Medium/Dark. Only having two shades concerns me, but from the description in the allure booklet, it seems like this BB acts more like a primer, blurring pores & smoothing skin tone, rather than having any coverage. In fact, it seems to be mostly silicone with some physical sunscreen. The SPF 50 makes it pretty attractive for daily use, so I am looking forward to trying it, probably under foundation.


Here is everything together outside of its packaging. The total worth of the samples is $23.32, which is more than the cost of the box, but not overwhelmingly so. However, the quality of the samples is nice, and I will use 4/5 of them. I am looking forward to receiving the next couple months of Sample Society, but unless it really wows me, I don't think I will continue my subscription.


No comments:

Post a Comment