Saturday, November 15, 2014

Ipsy November 2014


What a week for beauty boxes! This review is for the Ipsy subscription for the month of November. Ipsy is a monthly subscription box that focuses on makeup with some skincare, hair care, and nail polish products. It's $10/month (+ $.75 for tax (?)) for a small makeup bag plus 5 samples that are influenced by a quiz you take. You can earn Ipsy points for reviewing products, posting things to your facebook, and inviting friends. These points can be redeemed for additional full-sized products.
I was really unhappy with Ipsy for awhile, but I am glad I have stuck with them because this month was another winner in my book. The bag is really cute and sturdy even if it is a bit plastic-y, and I am really pleased with the products I received.

The first product up for review is It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Anti-Aging Waterproof Concealer. I found this at Ulta for $24 for 0.28 fl oz, so the sample is worth $9.42. The sample is really tiny, but it seems like a little bit will go a long way based on my swatch (below). My only complaint is that they sent me the shade "Natural Medium", when I have Fair/Light listed in my profile. Hopefully I can make this work for me!



The next product is Marc Anthony Oil of Morocco Argan Oil Hairspray, which I found at the Walgreens site for $8.29 full-sized. The sample is 1/6 of the full-size, making it worth $1.38. The hairspray is sulfate-free, which is appealing to people with dry hair, though the main ingredient is alcohol. It does have some Argan oil and Grapeseed oil listed in the ingredients, and the reviews seem to be generally positive with the main points being that it doesn't make your hair "crispy" and doesn't leave any residues. I will probably try this out, though I don't use hairspray all that often.


The third item I pulled out was SeaRx Birchsap Moisturizing Lotion. I found the full-sized product at the Birchbox shop for $28, making it $2.10 for this small sample. The lotion is recommended for face and body, though it has a lot of fruit extracts and oils, so I would definitely be careful before putting it on your face. It also claims to have a "degree of protection from sunlight", which seems to be absolutely untrue, as there are no ingredients that are sun-protecting, and in fact citrus oils usually enhance photo-sensitivity. This seems like kind of a gimmicky product, but the main ingredients are moisturizing, so I will try it out as a body lotion.


Next up is, I believe, a full-sized Starlooks Gem Eye Pencil in one of their new colors - Ultra Olive. They list the price of this item at $17, which is an excellent deal for Ipsy subscribers! The eye pencils can be used as eyeliners or as cream eyeshadows, which makes them pretty versatile. I really love the color I got, and it does have a nice creamy finish. It's also quite pigmented. I don't wear eyeliner much, but I think I could use this to do a quick daily eyeshadow look. I'm really excited about receiving this product!


The final item is another full-sized item! I got J. Cat Beauty Wonder Lip Paint in the color Mad Splatter. The lip paint goes for $4.99 on all the sites I looked at. The product seems to be an attempt at duping the popular OCC Lip Tars at a much lower price point. I have never used an OCC Lip Tar, so I can't make a direct comparison. I can say that the lip paint comes out pretty watery, but a little goes a long way. The color looks nice swatched on my arm (below) and left a good stain when I washed my arm afterwards. I am definitely happy about receiving this product!


I swatched on my arm (Top to Bottom) the eye pencil, concealer, and lip paint. The eye pencil is a nice olive color with a hint of gold shimmer. The concealer is very creamy and opaque, but the color does seem a little dark for me. The lip paint is a bright fuchsia color, and I look forward to seeing if it maintains that color on my lips.  


Here is everything all together with a recap on the prices (from L to R):
Marc Anthony Oil of Morocco Hairspray - $1.38
J.Cat Wonder Lip Paint - $4.99
SeaRx Birchsap Moisturizing Lotion - $2.10
It Cosmetis Bye Bye Undereye Concealer - $9.42
Starlooks Gem Eye Pencil - $17
TOTAL - $34.89

This is a pretty great deal for a $10 cost, and I will use most, if not all, of the products!



No comments:

Post a Comment