Sunday, November 22, 2015

Black and White Abstract Geometric Shapes


This manicure is for the 25th week of the /r/RedditLaqueristas 52-week challenge. I can't believe we are almost halfway through! The theme for this week was "Black and White". I was somewhat inspired by this post from awhile ago that I had saved as inspiration. I really like how this design came out, and I think I will return to it in the future.

For this manicure, I used:
Base Coat: Zoya Anchor
Polishes: Sephora - Sugar Coated
               Sinful Colors - Snow Me White
               Zoya - Willa
Tools: Small Detail Brush
Top Coat: Seche Vite


I started with two coats of the translucent pinkish Sephora polish. I have a set of Sephora polishes and I never use them, so I figured I would give this one a chance. Unfortunately, it came out pretty streaky, and I don't think more coats would have helped. It was acceptable as a base for this design, but I wouldn't wear it on its own.

Next, I used the detail brush with either the white Sinful Colors polish or the black Zoya polish to first outline my nail, then draw one line at a time to make some abstract shapes. I tried to make each nail unique by starting in a different corner of my nail each time. Sinful Colors - Snow Me White worked really well for this application since it is pretty thick. I was disappointed in Zoya - Willa though because it was really too thin to make opaque lines, and I found myself trying to optimize the amount of polish on my brush. I would recommend a different, thicker black polish for freehand lines.


I imaging acrylic paint might work very well for this design and allow for thinner lines and smaller shapes, but I like the challenge of working with just nail polish. Overall, I am pleased with how my nails came out, and I like how the pattern works well with my short nails without accentuating the lack of length, which can often happen with a more organized pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment